Lesson Plan: The Quotient Rule Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the derivative of a function using the quotient rule.
Students will be able to
- understand that the quotient rule is an adaptation of the product rule and be familiar with the derivation,
- use the quotient rule of differentiation to find the derivative, , where is a quotient of two functions,
- use the quotient rule of differentiation to evaluate the derivative of a function at a point, , where is a quotient of two functions.
Students should already be familiar with
- the power rule of differentiation,
- the product rule of differentiation.
Students will not cover
- the chain rule of differentiation,
- partial fraction decomposition.