Lesson Plan: Phenol Chemistry
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to describe the physical and chemical properties of phenol.
Students will be able to
- identify the structure of phenolic compounds and describe the physical properties of phenol,
- describe methods to synthesize phenol,
- describe the acidity of phenol and compare this with aliphatic alcohols,
- identify, describe, and draw reaction schemes for the following reactions of phenol: nitration and polymerization with formaldehyde.
Students should already be familiar with
Students will not cover
- bonding or delocalization of electrons in phenol,
- reactions of phenol other than those listed above.