Lesson Plan: The Language of Algebra Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to identify variables and terms and distinguish between expressions, equations, formulas, and identities.
Students will be able to
- identify terms and variables in a given expression,
- distinguish between
- expressions (contain letters and/or numbers but no equal sign nor inequality sign),
- equations (mathematical sentences with an equal sign and at least one unknown that allows us to find the value or values of the unknown),
- formulas (equations showing the relationship between certain quantities),
- identities (an equation that is true for any value of the variable).
Students should already be familiar with
- using letters to represent variables.
Students will not cover
- forming algebraic expressions, equations, and formulas,
- solving equations,
- algebraic proof.