Lesson Plan: Determining Sex in Humans Biology
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to recall the sex chromosomes in humans and explain their role in determining the sex of a fetus.
Students will be able to
- recall that the sex chromosomes in humans are X and Y,
- describe the X chromosome as being longer and containing more genes than the Y chromosome,
- recall that females are primarily XX and males XY,
- explain the role of sex chromosomes in determining the sex of a fetus,
- use and interpret Punnett squares and genetic diagrams in determining the sex of a human.
Students should already be familiar with
- chromosomes (basic understanding),
- the inheritance of genetic material from parents to offspring.
Students will not cover
- inheritance of sex-linked diseases.