Lesson Plan: Properties of Sodium and Its Compounds Chemistry
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to describe and explain the properties of the element sodium and its compounds.
Students will be able to
- describe the extraction process of sodium,
- list uses of sodium and related compounds,
- describe the properties, reactions, and preparation of sodium compounds.
Students should already be familiar with
- general properties and trends of the group I alkali metals,
- formation of group 1 oxides, hydroxides, and halides.
Students will not cover
- the physical properties of sodium in relation to other group I metals.