In this worksheet, we will practice describing the carbon allotropes graphite, diamond, fullerenes, and nanotubes and comparing their physical properties.
Carbon has many allotropes. Which of the following allotropes of carbon has a simple molecular structure?
Which of the following is the best description of graphene?
- ASpherical shells of carbon atoms arranged into pentagons and hexagons
- BA one-atom-thick sheet of carbon atoms in a diamond-like arrangement
- CA one-atom-thick sheet of carbon atoms folded into a cylinder
- DA one-atom-thick sheet of carbon atoms arranged into hexagons
- ECubic lattices of carbon atoms in a diamond-like arrangement
Which of the following features of fullerenes makes them suitable for use as industrial catalysts?
- ADark color
- BLow density
- DHigh surface area
- ELow solubility
Which feature of graphite is responsible for its electrical conductivity?
- AWeak interlayer interactions
- BStrong covalent bonds
- CA high sublimating temperature
- DDelocalized electrons
Which of the following is not a likely use of fullerenes?
- BDrug delivery agents