This lesson includes 11 additional questions for subscribers.
Lesson Worksheet: Allotropes of Carbon Chemistry • 10th Grade
In this worksheet, we will practice describing the allotropes of carbon such as graphite, graphene, diamond, fullerenes, and nanotubes and comparing their physical properties.
Carbon has many allotropes. Which of the following allotropes of carbon has a simple molecular structure?
Which of the following is the best description of graphene?
- ASpherical shells of carbon atoms arranged into pentagons and hexagons
- BA one-atom-thick sheet of carbon atoms arranged into hexagons
- CA one-atom-thick sheet of carbon atoms in a diamond-like arrangement
- DCubic lattices of carbon atoms in a diamond-like arrangement
- EA one-atom-thick sheet of carbon atoms folded into a cylinder
Which of the following features of fullerenes makes them suitable for use as industrial catalysts?
- AHigh surface area
- BLow density
- CDark color
- DLow solubility
Which of the following is not a likely use of fullerenes?
- ADrug delivery agents
Which of the following structural features explains why diamond does not conduct electricity?
- AIn diamond, there is a large surface-area-to-volume ratio.
- BIn diamond, carbon atoms form layers that can slide over each other.
- CIn diamond, only the core electrons are free to move.
- DIn diamond, there are no ions or free electrons to carry the charge.
- EIn diamond, the electrons are trapped inside a hollow-shaped structure.
Which of the following statements best describes an allotrope?
- AAn element that can exist either as a solid, a liquid, or a gas
- BA large molecular structure consisting of two or more elements
- CA mixture of a metal with another element
- DAn element that can exhibit different colors
- ETwo or more different molecular forms of the same element in the same physical state
Which of the following is not an allotrope of carbon?
The given image shows a type of fullerene known as a carbon nanotube. Which of the following is not a common property of a carbon nanotube?
- AGood conductivity of heat
- BHigh surface-area-to-volume ratio
- CGood conductivity of electricity
- DGreat strength
- EHigh density
Phosphorus is an element that can exist in several allotropes. The structure of one allotrope, black phosphorus, is shown in the picture. Which allotrope of carbon does black phosphorus resemble the most?