Worksheet: Allotropes of Carbon
In this worksheet, we will practice describing the carbon allotropes graphite, diamond, fullerenes, and nanotubes and comparing their physical properties.
Carbon has many allotropes. Which of the following allotropes of carbon has a simple molecular structure?
Which of the following is the best description of graphene?
- ASpherical shells of carbon atoms arranged into pentagons and hexagons
- BA one-atom-thick sheet of carbon atoms arranged into hexagons
- CA one-atom-thick sheet of carbon atoms in a diamond-like arrangement
- DCubic lattices of carbon atoms in a diamond-like arrangement
- EA one-atom-thick sheet of carbon atoms folded into a cylinder
Which of the following features of fullerenes makes them suitable for use as industrial catalysts?
- AHigh surface area
- BLow density
- CDark color
- DLow solubility
Which of the following is not a likely use of fullerenes?
- ADrug delivery agents