This lesson includes 21 additional questions for subscribers.
Lesson Worksheet: Factors That Affect Environmental Balance Science
In this worksheet, we will practice describing factors that affect environmental balance.
What would happen if an environment does not have any predators?
- APrey would become stronger because there is no competition.
- BPopulations of prey would decrease and there would be no competition for food.
- CPopulations of prey would increase until there is not enough food for them.
Fill in the blanks: Saprophytic organisms, such as and , get most of their nutrition from decomposing organisms.
- Afungi, bacteria
- Btigers, lions
- Csharks, whales
Why are saprophytic organisms important to environmental balance?
- AThey recycle chemical elements in the ecosystem.
- BThey stop predators from killing prey.
- CThey help prey to get rid of their weakest members.
Fill in the blanks: kill and eat weaker or less healthy members of the prey population. This helps maintain the members of the prey population.
- ASaprophytes, weaker
- BPredators, weaker
- CPredators, stronger
- DSaprophytes, stronger
What group of organisms attacks, kills, and eats other organisms?
A prey population can be negatively affected by the lack of predators.
Consider the following statements:
The number of weak members .
The population size .
The competition for shelter .
The competition for food .
Which word fills in the blanks above?
- BStays the same
Fill in the blank: As the number of predators increases, the number of preys .
- Cstays the same
On examining a sample of a dead organism’s body, what kind of organisms can you find?
- CSaprophytic organisms