Lesson Plan: Graphing Special Lines Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to recognize and graph vertical and horizontal lines, the lines 𝑦 = 𝑥 and 𝑦 = −𝑥, and lines of the form 𝑦 − 𝑥 = 𝑐 and 𝑦 + 𝑥 = 𝑐.
Students will be able to
- understand that horizontal lines have equations of the form ,
- understand that vertical lines have equations of the form ,
- recognize when points are on a horizontal or vertical line described by an equation,
- write down the equation of a given horizontal or vertical line,
- understand that the lines with equations are diagonal lines through the origin,
- recognize lines with equations of the form when given a graph.
Students should already be familiar with
- plotting points on a pair of coordinate axes,
- recognizing patterns within sets of coordinate pairs.
Students will not cover
- filling in tables of - and -values,
- the slope of a line.