Lesson Plan: Subtraction of Numbers up to 1,000,000 Mathematics • 4th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use the most appropriate strategy to subtract numbers up to one million.
Students will be able to
- subtract whole numbers up to one million using the formal algorithm,
- estimate to check the reasonableness of answers,
- use addition to check answers,
- mentally subtract whole numbers,
- choose the appropriate methods to subtract.
Students should already be familiar with
- choosing the most appropriate method to add numbers up to one million,
- how to count back to subtract or find a difference,
- how to decompose numbers to find partial sums and differences,
- subtracting numbers with up to five digits using the formal algorithm.
Students will not cover
- subtracting numbers with more than six digits,
- subtracting decimal numbers.