Lesson Plan: Average Speed Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate the average speed of a particle by dividing the total distance of a journey by its total time.
Students will be able to
- calculate the average speed over an interval when given the distance traveled and time taken for a journey in the form of
- a table of values,
- a distance–time graph,
- a function that represents the distance traveled with respect to time,
- calculate an unknown distance or length of time based on given knowledge of speed during a journey.
Students should already be familiar with
- speed as the distance traveled over a certain time,
- the distinction between distance traveled and displacement,
- units of speed.
Students will not cover
- differentiation or integration to find speed.