Lesson Plan: Number Patterns Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to define a number pattern, create or extend a number pattern given its rule, and investigate other features of number patterns.
Students will be able to
- define a rule of a number pattern,
- define a term of a number pattern,
- extend number patterns by following given rules,
- create a number pattern from a term and a rule,
- discover patterns by looking at the difference between two successive numbers,
- identify number patterns to solve word problems.
Students should already be familiar with
- operations on positive whole numbers.
Students will not cover
- shape patterns,
- writing rules using algebraic expressions.