Lesson Plan: Area of Triangles and Parallelograms
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the area of triangles and parallelograms.
Students will be able to
- calculate the area of a triangle using its base length and perpendicular height,
- calculate the area of a parallelogram using its base length and perpendicular height,
- calculate the area of a triangle or parallelogram in a real-life context,
- find unknown lengths in triangles and parallelograms, given their areas.
Students should already be familiar with
- calculating the area of squares and rectangles,
- the units for measuring area,
- adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing whole numbers within 1,000.
Students will not cover
- areas of circles or sectors,
- areas of composite shapes,
- areas of shapes with noninteger lengths.