Lesson Plan: Using the Addition Formula to Simplify 𝑎 cos 𝑥 ± 𝑏 sin 𝑥 Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use the addition formula to simplify the expression 𝑎 cos 𝑥 ± 𝑏 sin 𝑥.
Students will be able to
- simplify expressions of the form to expressions involving the sine function or cosine function only,
- sketch graphs of trigonometric functions of the form ,
- solve trigonometric equations by simplifying .
Students should already be familiar with
- radians and degrees,
- angle sum and difference formulae,
- double angle formulae,
- sketching trigonometric graphs,
- inverse trigonometric functions.
Students will not cover
- simplifying trigonometric expressions that are not in the form .