Lesson Plan: Integration by Substitution: Definite Integrals Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use integration by substitution for definite integrals.
Students will be able to
- identify situations where a substitution can be used to simplify a definite integral,
- choose an appropriate substitution, , in order to solve an integral, where both and appear as factors of the integrand,
- apply a substitution to a definite integral, including substituting the limits of the integral, in order to solve it.
Students should already be familiar with
- the chain rule,
- integration by substitution for indefinite integrals,
- definite integrals,
- trigonometric identities, such as Pythagorean, double- and half-angle, and angle sum and difference trigonometric identities.
Students will not cover
- integration by parts,
- hyperbolic functions.