Lesson Plan: Horizontal and Vertical Asymptotes of a Function Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the horizontal and vertical asymptotes of a function.
Students will be able to
- find vertical asymptotes by considering points where the denominator of a function equals zero,
- find horizontal asymptotes by considering values that a function cannot take,
- use asymptotes to find the domain and range of a function,
- use asymptotes to sketch the graph of a function.
Students should already be familiar with
- polynomial factorization,
- simplifying algebraic fractions,
- curve sketching.
Students will not cover
- asymptotic behavior of functions in terms of limits.