Lesson Plan: Dividing into Equal Groups Mathematics • 1st Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to divide a number of objects into equal groups.
Students will be able to
- use objects to model dividing into equal groups,
- make equal groups of a given number and then count the groups,
- understand that some numbers of objects will not make specific equal groups.
Students should already be familiar with
- adding equal groups,
- counting in 2s (to 20), 5s (to 50), and 10s (to 100).
Students will not cover
- using arrays to identify equal groups of objects,
- using the phrase “divide” or the symbol,
- applying times tables facts,
- reading or writing division expressions.