Lesson Plan: Adding by Counting On: Numbers up to 20 Mathematics • 1st Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to add within 20 by counting on from a number.
Students will be able to
- count forward from one addend in 1s to find the total,
- use the counting on strategy to add two one-digit numbers within 20,
- identify the largest number in an addition sentence and count on from there.
Students should already be familiar with
- counting to 20,
- counting up to 20 objects,
- reading and writing numbers up to 20,
- adding numbers up to 10.
Students will not cover
- adding numbers with a sum greater than 20,
- adding numbers with a sum less than 10.