Lesson Plan: Naming Polygons Mathematics • 2nd Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to count the sides, vertices, and angles of polygons in order to name them as triangles, quadrilaterals, pentagons, hexagons, or octagons.
Students will be able to
- define polygons as closed shapes made of straight line segments,
- classify polygons as triangles, quadrilaterals, pentagons, hexagons, or octagons based on the number of sides, angles, or vertices they have,
- understand that polygons have the same number of sides, angles, and vertices.
Students should already be familiar with
- how to classify lines as parallel and perpendicular,
- triangles and quadrilaterals.
Students will not cover
- classifying quadrilaterals,
- the terms regular and convex.