Lesson Plan: Adding in Any Order Mathematics • 1st Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use models to show what happens when two numbers are added in different orders and find the total sum of numbers up to 20.
Students will be able to
- model the commutative property of addition,
- recognize that altering the order of an addition does not affect the total,
- apply knowledge of the commutative property to solve missing-number problems.
Students should already be familiar with
- adding numbers to 10,
- modeling addition using objects, counters, or blocks.
Students will not cover
- the term commutative property of addition.