Lesson Plan: One-step Equations: Addition and Subtraction Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to form and solve equations in one step using either addition or subtraction and apply this knowledge to solve word problems.
Students will be able to
- understand that solving a one-step equation means finding the unknown value to make the statement true,
- solve a one-step equation by adding or subtracting a constant,
- solve geometric problems and word problems by forming and solving a one-step equation involving addition or subtraction.
Students should already be familiar with
- forming linear expressions and equations,
- adding and subtracting positive and negative integers.
Students will not cover
- solving equations that require multiplication or division,
- solving two-step equations,
- solving nonlinear equations,
- solving equations with more than one unknown.