Lesson Plan: Doubles Minus One Mathematics • 1st Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to apply the strategy of doubles minus one to add two numbers with a sum of less than 20.
Students will be able to
- use models to solve addition problems by using the doubles minus one strategy,
- solve addition problems by using the doubles minus one strategy without using models,
- recognize situations in which doubles minus one is a reasonable strategy for solving addition problems,
- solve word problems using the doubles minus one strategy.
Students should already be familiar with
- doubles facts through ,
- how to add using doubles plus one,
- basic concepts of addition,
- reading addition sentences written both vertically and horizontally.
Students will not cover
- doubles minus one expressions using numbers greater than 19,
- the use of number lines to model addition problems.