Lesson Plan: Telling Time in Words: Time to the Quarter Hour Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to tell time to the quarter hour on analog or digital clocks and record the time in words.
Students will be able to
- read the time to the quarter hour shown on an analog clock or digital clock,
- write the time to the quarter hour shown on an analog or digital clock in words,
- correctly position the hands on analog clocks to show times to the quarter hour,
- recognize common mistakes made when telling time to the quarter hour.
Students should already be familiar with
- telling the time to the half hour on analog and digital clocks,
- recording o’clock and half past times in words,
- understanding the term quarter (in the context of quarter of the way around the clockface or quarter of the way to complete the clockface).
Students will not cover
- writing times in digital form,
- the use of am/pm,
- 24-hour clock times.