Lesson Plan: Relating Volumes and Surface Areas Mathematics • 8th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to relate volumes of different shapes, surface areas of different shapes, and a shape’s volume and surface area.
Students will be able to
- solve problems that involve relating the volumes of two different shapes,
- solve problems that involve relating the surface areas of two different shapes,
- solve problems that involve relating a shape’s volume to its surface area,
- solve problems that involve volume and surface area calculations.
Students should already be familiar with
- volumes of prisms, cylinders, and spheres,
- surface areas of prisms, cylinders, and spheres,
- real numbers and operations on them.
Students will not cover
- volumes and surface areas of cones.