Lesson Plan: Estimating the Sum and Difference of Fractions Using Number Lines Mathematics • 4th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use number lines to decide whether a sum of, or difference between, two proper fractions is more or less than zero, one half, or one.
Students will be able to
- estimate whether a sum is more or less than 1 using number lines,
- estimate whether a sum is more or less than using number lines,
- estimate whether a difference is more or less than using number lines,
- estimate whether a sum or difference is between 0 and , and 1, or more than 1.
Students should already be familiar with
- fractions on number lines.
Students will not cover
- adding and subtracting fractions with unlike denominators.