Lesson Plan: Surface Areas of Cylinders Mathematics • 8th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate surface areas of cylinders and use them to solve problems in real-life situations.
Students will be able to
- understand the construction of the net of a cylinder as two circles and a rectangle,
- calculate the lateral surface area of a cylinder using its height and radius (or diameter),
- calculate the total surface area of a cylinder using its height and radius (or diameter),
- calculate the radius of a cylinder given its surface or lateral area and its height,
- calculate the height of a cylinder given its surface or lateral area and either of
- the radius of the base,
- the circumference of the base,
- the area of the base.
Students should already be familiar with
- circles and calculating their circumferences and areas,
- rectangles and calculating their perimeters and areas,
- real numbers and operations on them.
Students will not cover
- volumes of cylinders,
- calculating the radius of a cylinder given its total surface area and its height.