Lesson Plan: Column Addition of Three-Digit Numbers: Regroup Ones Mathematics • 2nd Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to regroup the ones when adding two three-digit numbers using column addition.
Students will be able to
- add a 2- or 3-digit number to a 3-digit number using the column method,
- use place value models to regroup the ones place,
- make connections between concrete models of regrouping and the written method.
Students should already be familiar with
- adding two three-digit numbers using column addition with no regrouping,
- using place value models to represent three-digit numbers.
Students will not cover
- sums with more than three digits,
- regrouping tens or hundreds.