Lesson Plan: Fractions Greater Than One on a Number Line Mathematics • 3rd Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to count improper fractions with the same denominator on number lines and write fractions greater than one as mixed numbers and improper fractions.
Students will be able to
- model fractions greater than one on a number line by dividing them into equal parts,
- write improper fractions on number lines,
- write mixed numbers on number lines.
Students should already be familiar with
- the roles of the numerator and denominator in a fraction,
- fraction values up to and including 1 whole,
- representing and reading improper fractions and mixed numbers using visual models.
Students will not cover
- fractions with denominators greater than 12,
- simplifying fractions.