Students will be able to
- recall the basic reaction of photosynthesis as carbon dioxide + water oxygen + glucose,
- describe how Van Neil carried out experiments on green and purple bacteria to determine oxygen was released by photosynthesis and describe subsequent experiments that confirmed this,
- recall that photosynthesis is split into two cycles: the light cycle and the dark cycle,
- describe the reactions of the dark cycle as being used to fix into carbohydrates,
- describe how Calvin carried out experiments on chlorella algae to determine the role of phosphoglyceraldehyde in photosynthesis.