Students will be able to
- state the function of the kidneys as the removal of waste via urine,
- describe the macroscopic structure of the kidney in higher vertebrates in terms of cortex, medulla, renal artery, renal vein, and ureter,
- state the functions of each of the components outlined,
- describe the structure of the nephron, including the glomerulus, Bowman’s capsule, the tubules, loop of Henle, and collecting duct,
- outline how the nephron allows the blood to be filtered and then some useful products to be selectively reabsorbed,
- recall that waste products are eventually excreted as urine and outline the route urine takes to be excreted,
- understand that approximately of the blood in the body will pass through the kidney per day.