Students will be able to
- state that eukaryotic cells are surrounded by a single membrane that is formed from a phospholipid bilayer,
- describe the roles of membranes within cells and at their surface,
- describe the fluid mosaic models of membrane structure,
- recall that some organelles are surrounded by single or double membranes,
- outline the effects of temperature and solvents on membrane structure and permeability,
- describe practical investigations into factors affecting membrane structure using colorimetry.