In this worksheet, we will practice predicting the effects of shielding, nuclear charge, and orbital occupancy on the relative energies of atomic orbitals.
Which of the following statements is false?
- AElectrons are usually added to the 4s subshell before the 3d subshell.
- BElectrons fill subshells of equal in order of increasing .
- CElectrons are usually removed from the 4s subshell before the 3d subshell.
- DElectrons fill subshells in order of increasing .
- EThe energy difference between the 3d and 4s subshells is sometimes less than the pairing energy of the 4s subshell.
Atoms of , , , and contain one electron in the 6d subshell and two electrons in the 7s subshell. A 6d0 configuration is produced if the d electron is promoted to a 5f or higher energy orbital. In which of these atoms does changing from a 6d1 to a 6d0 configuration produce the greatest increase in pairing energy?