This lesson includes 16 additional questions and 8 additional question variations for subscribers.
Lesson Worksheet: Polar Bonding Chemistry
In this worksheet, we will practice identifying polar bonds within molecules and assessing their effect on the polarity of the molecule as a whole.
Which of the molcules , , , , and contains polar bonds but is not a polar molecule?
Partial charges are created from the asymmetric distribution of the electrons in chemical bonds within molecules.
In the following diagram, identify which atom has a delta positive charge.
In the following diagram, identify which atom has a delta negative charge.
Which diagram shows a molecule of carbon dioxide with correctly labeled dipoles?
Which of the following determines the polarity of a bond between two elements?
- AThe difference in electronegativity between the two elements
- BThe atomic size of the two elements
- CThe number of valence electrons in the two elements
- DThe type of bond between the two elements
- EThe difference in first ionization energy between the two elements
What type of bond is the bond?
- AHydrogen bond
- BNonpolar covalent bond
- CPolar covalent bond
- DIonic bond
Fill in the blanks: is a molecule and has a bond.
- Anonpolar, polar
- Bpolar, nonpolar
- Cpolar, polar
- Dnonpolar, nonpolar