Worksheet: Exchange and Transport
In this worksheet, we will practice describing the need for exchange of substances in organisms, and explaining how cells are adapted for this.
Calculate the volume of a cell with a width of 3 μm, a height of 4 μm, and a depth of 6 μm.
Calculate the surface area, in square centimeters, of a cube with edges of 3 cm.
Cube A has a surface area : volume ratio of . Cube B has a surface area : volume ratio of . In which cube will exchange of substances happen faster?
- CBoth will have the same exchange rate.
All cells in the body undergo cellular respiration, which requires glucose and oxygen.
Which of the following organs take in the oxygen required from the atmosphere?
- AThe liver
- BThe heart
- CThe intestines
- DThe lungs
- EThe kidneys
Which organ absorbs the glucose required for respiration from carbohydrates consumed?
- AThe liver
- BThe kidneys
- CThe lungs
- DSmall intestines
- ELarge intestines
Through which of the following are glucose and oxygen transported to cells in the body for aerobic respiration?
- AActive transport
- BThe nervous system
- CThe endocrine system
- DThe bloodstream
- EThe skeletal system
The diagram provided shows a basic outline of two cells with the same membrane thickness. They are both placed into solutions containing an equal concentration of dye and left for the same amount of time.
With temperature and pressure kept equal in both experiments, into which cell would the dye diffuse faster?
- CThe dye would diffuse into both cells with equal rates.
Justify your previous answer.
- ABoth cells have the same membrane thickness.
- BCell A has a larger surface area.
- CThere is a larger difference in concentration in this cell.
- DCell B has a larger surface area.
Which of the following would not increase the rate of diffusion of gases into or out of a cell?
- AHaving a thinner cell membrane
- BHaving a thicker cell membrane
- CHaving a steep concentration gradient of the diffusing substance
- DIncreasing the surface area of the cell
- EHaving a layer of moisture around the cell
Calculate the surface area : volume ratio of a cube that has a side of 3 cm.
The surface area of a cell can be compared to its volume in a surface area to volume ratio (SA : V). Which of the following correctly summarizes the relationship between SA : V and the rate of exchange of substances?
- AThe larger the SA : V, the faster the substances exchange.
- BThe smaller the SA : V, the faster the substances exchange.
- CThere is no correlation between the SA : V and the rate that substances exchange.
The micrograph provided shows an amoeba, which is a single-celled organism. Which of the following statements best explains why, unlike a human being, an amoeba does not need a sophisticated transport system?
- AAn amoeba has a small surface area and thus only requires a primitive transport system.
- BLike a virus, an amoeba is not a living thing, so it does not require a transport system.
- CAn amoeba can absorb all the nutrients it requires from its surroundings.
- DAn amoeba can internally synthesize all the nutrients it requires.