Lesson Worksheet: Hybridization in Molecular Orbital Theory Chemistry
In this worksheet, we will practice explaining the origin of hybrid orbitals based on electron pair energies and the symmetries of molecular orbitals.
In the valence bond theory description of methane, which of the following statements is not a valid justification for the use of sp3 hybrid orbitals?
- AA atom could not form four bonds without hybridization, as the energy for promoting a 2s electron to the 2p subshell is too large.
- BThe s orbital of each atom must overlap with the s orbital of the atom and at least one p orbital.
- COverlap of the s orbitals with the three p orbitals of the atom would produce bonds at to each other.
- DA tetrahedral bonding geometry with zero dipole moment is only possible if electron density is distributed equally between the four bonds.
- EThe bonds are exactly equivalent, so they must be generated by orbitals of equal energy.