In this worksheet, we will practice using proportions in order to identify similar polygons.
Which of the following statements correctly defines similarity for polygons?
- A Two polygons are said to be similar if their corresponding sides are equal.
- B Two polygons are said to be similar if their corresponding angles are equal.
- C Two polygons are said to be similar if their corresponding sides are congruent.
- D Two polygons are said to be similar if their corresponding angles are congruent and their corresponding sides are in proportion.
- ETwo polygons are said to be similar if their corresponding angles are complementary and their corresponding sides are equal.
Find the lengths of and rounded to the nearest tenth.
- A 1.8 cm, 1.3 cm
- B 16.1 cm, 20.9 cm
- C 40.3 cm, 50.8 cm
- D 8.3 cm, 10.5 cm
and the perimeter of . Calculate the scale factor of similarity of to and the perimeter of .
- A scale factor , perimeter of
- B scale factor , perimeter of
- C scale factor , perimeter of
- D scale factor, perimeter of
- E scale factor , perimeter of
The ratio between corresponding sides of two similar triangles is . If the length of the base of the larger triangle is 19.7, find the length of the base of the smaller triangle rounding the answer to the nearest tenth.
The ratio between the areas of two similar polygons is . Given that the length of one side of the smaller one is 8 cm, calculate the length of the corresponding side of the bigger one.
In the figure, given that the two triangles are similar, work out the value of .
Are the two polygons similar?
If the corresponding angles in two triangles are equal, then the two triangles .
- Aare not similar
- Bare congruent
- Chave the same area
- Dare similar
If the scale factor of two similar polygons equals 1, what can you say about the polygons?
- AThey are different.
- BThey are just similar.
- CThey are congruent.
A polygon has sides 2, 4, 3, 8, and 4. A second similar polygon has perimeter 31.5. What are its sides?
- A 3.5 cm, 5.5 cm, 4.5 cm, 9.5 cm, 5.5 cm
- B 1.3 cm, 2.7 cm, 2 cm, 5.3 cm, 2.7 cm
- C 4 cm, 5 cm, 4.5 cm, 13 cm, 5 cm
- D 3 cm, 6 cm, 4.5 cm, 12 cm, 6 cm
If polygon and polygon are both similar to a third polygon, then polygons and are .
Consider two similar polygons and . Which angle in corresponds to ?
Is rectangle similar to rectangle ?
Any two triangles are similar when their corresponding are proportional.
If the polygon is similar to the polygon and the scale factor from to is positive and less than 1, then is .
- Acongruent to
- Ban enlargement of
- Ca reduction of
Consider the points , , , , , , , and . Is the rectangle similar to the rectangle ?
Are these two triangles similar?
Are these two polygons similar?
Is polygon similar to polygon ?
Given that , determine the length of .
Find the length of .
A pair of corresponding sides in two similar polygons are of length 14 and 19. What is the ratio between their areas? What is the ratio between their perimeters?
- A ,
- B ,
- C ,
- D ,