This lesson includes 16 additional questions and 10 additional question variations for subscribers.
Lesson Worksheet: Distillation Chemistry
In this worksheet, we will practice describing and troubleshooting distillation methods and describing their use in liquid separation and purification.
When should distillation be used?
- AWhen separating a mixture of liquids with different boiling points
- BWhen a very high temperature is needed
- CWhen separating liquids that are immiscible
- DWhen obtaining the solute from a solution
- EWhen separating an insoluble solid from a soluble solid
Which of the following industrial processes does not involve fractional distillation?
- ASeparating gases in air
- BExtracting ethanol from a fermentation mixture
- CMaking sulfuric acid through the contact process
- DRefining crude oil
The given table shows the boiling points of four liquids that are mixed together.
|Molecules||2-Butanol||Ethanoic acid||Ethyl ethanoate||Methanol|
|Boiling Point ()||98||118||77||65|
In what order would each liquid be collected if fractional distillation was used to separate them?
- AEthyl ethanoate, ethanoic acid, methanol, 2-butanol
- BEthanoic acid, 2-butanol, ethyl ethanoate, methanol
- CMethanol, 2-butanol, ethanoic acid, ethyl ethanoate
- DMethanol, ethyl ethanoate, 2-butanol, ethanoic acid
- E2-Butanol, ethanoic acid, ethyl ethanoate, methanol
Ethanol has a boiling point of . Why would fractional distillation not separate ethanol from the mixture?
- AEthanol has a very similar boiling point to ethyl ethanoate.
- BWhen heated, ethanol decomposes to ethane and water.
- CEthanol will start to crystallize as the mixture evaporates.
- DEthanol would not mix with the other liquids.
When performing a distillation, why is the thermometer placed at the top of the column instead of in the solution?
- ASo as to provide an additional surface for the vapor to condense on
- BSo the thermometer does not contaminate the solution
- CSo the thermometer does not break
- DSo the temperature of the vapor is measured
- ESo it does not block the vapor from traveling up the column
The image below shows a piece of labware often used in fractional distillation. What name is given to this piece of labware?
- CGas syringe
During fractional distillation, why are glass beads placed into the column?
- ATo stop the thermometer from falling into the reaction mixture
- BTo keep the temperature even throughout the column
- CTo strengthen the column
- DTo stop any liquid that condenses from falling back into the reaction mixture
- ETo increase the surface area available for condensing the vapor
Which of the following methods is the most appropriate for separating a liquid with a low boiling point from a mixture of liquids?
Consider a mixture of methanol whose boiling point is and water whose boiling point is . Which of the following methods can be used to separate this mixture?
- DFractional distillation
The given apparatus shows the fractional distillation of a table salt solution. In which part of the apparatus is salt collected at the end of the experiment?
- AThe distilling flask
- BThe conical flask
- CThe condenser
- DThe glass beaker