This lesson includes 18 additional questions for subscribers.
Lesson Worksheet: Plant Tissues Biology
In this worksheet, we will practice describing the structure and function of different tissues found in plants.
What is the difference between a simple and a compound tissue in plants?
- ASimple tissues are formed of unspecialized cells, but compound tissues are formed of fully differentiated cells.
- BSimple tissues are only found in the stem of plants, but compound tissues are found in all parts of the plants.
- CSimple tissues are comprised of one type of cell only, whereas compound tissues are comprised of more than one type of cell.
- DSimple tissues only carry out the basic functions of cell support, whereas compound tissues carry out complex functions like respiration and photosynthesis.
Plant tissues can be organized into systems. What two structures is the vascular system comprised of?
- AStomata and stem
- BStomata and phloem
- CXylem and phloem
- DXylem and stem
Which of the following best describes a biological tissue?
- AA tissue is a section of an organ that has multiple, varied functions.
- BA tissue is a collection of random cells that perform different, independent functions.
- CA tissue is a group of organs that work together to perform a particular function.
- DA tissue is a group of cells that work together to perform a certain function.
Which of the following is not a type of simple tissue found in plants?
What type of simple tissue in plants is described as a nonliving tissue comprised of cells that have thick walls hardened with lignin?
Which type of simple tissue in plants is being outlined in the following description?
It is a living tissue, comprised of rectangular-shaped cells that have thick cellulose walls.
Collenchyma cells have thicker cell walls than some other simple plant tissues. Which of the following is a major function of collenchyma tissue?
- ARegulating water loss in leaves
- BRegulating water uptake in roots
- CProviding support for the plant, especially in growing areas
- DProviding defense against pathogens in the immune response
The diagram provided outlines the basic structure of the xylem. Which of the following best describes the structure of the xylem?
- AThe xylem is a tissue comprised of a long, flexible tube made up of thin-walled, living collenchyma cells.
- BThe xylem is a tissue comprised of multiple, separate, nonliving parenchyma cells stacked on top of each other.
- CThe xylem is a tissue containing a transport system of tubes made up of thick-walled, nonliving sclerenchyma cells.