This lesson includes 9 additional questions for subscribers.
Lesson Worksheet: Incomplete Combustion of Hydrocarbons Chemistry
In this worksheet, we will practice describing the incomplete combustion of hydrocarbons by writing, balancing, and interpreting chemical equations.
For a fuel to undergo incomplete combustion, which of the following must be present in insufficient quantities?
Which toxic, colorless and odorless gas may be produced by the incomplete combustion of a hydrocarbon?
- ASulfur dioxide
- BHydrogen peroxide
- CCarbon dioxide
- DCarbon monoxide
Which of the following compounds is least likely to be produced during the incomplete combustion of a hydrocarbon?
Why is carbon monoxide a poisonous gas?
- AIt irritates mucous membranes in the eyes.
- BIt causes suffocation.
- CIt irritates the respiratory tract.
- DIt inhibits the ability of the blood to carry oxygen.
- EIt causes blindness.
Choose the three numbers that, in the correct order, balance the following incomplete combustion reaction:
- A2, 1, 2
- B4, 4, 2
- C2, 2, 4
- D4, 2, 4
- E2, 2, 2
Hexane was burnt in a crucible and incomplete combustion occurred. Which equation represents incomplete combustion?
Which of the following word equations represents the incomplete combustion of methane?
- AMethane + oxygen → carbon monoxide + hydrogen
- BMethane + oxygen → carbon monoxide + water
- CMethane + oxygen → carbon dioxide + hydrogen
- DMethane + oxygen → carbon dioxide + water
- EMethane + water → carbon dioxide + hydrogen
Which of the following observations is a difference between a complete and an incomplete combustion reaction?
- AA dirty flame is observed.
- BMore energy is produced.
- CSoot is formed.
- DA toxic gas is formed.
- EBlack smoke is formed.
Which of the following can only be produced from an incomplete combustion reaction?
- ASmaller hydrocarbons
- ECarbon dioxide