In this worksheet, we will practice describing the origin and properties of covalent, polar covalent, ionic, and metallic bonding.
Which of the following is the least useful piece of information for predicting the type of bonding likely to occur between two elements?
- ATheir electronegativities
- BTheir position on the Periodic Table
- CTheir electron arrangements
- DTheir melting points
In which type of chemical bond are electrons transferred from one atom to another?
- ACovalent bond
- BDative bond
- CMetallic bond
- DIonic bond
- EHydrogen bond
Which of the following is an accurate definition of a dative covalent bond?
- AA bond in which two bonding electrons are shared unevenly between a pair of bonded atoms
- BA bond comprising only one shared bonding electron
- CA bond comprising more than two shared bonding electrons
- DA bond comprising two shared bonding electrons that originate from the same atom
- EA bond in which two bonding electrons are shared between more than two atoms
Which of the following molecules and ions does not contain a dative covalent bond?
Which force is mainly responsible for the attraction between oppositely charged ions in an ionic compound?
- AMetallic force
- BCovalent force
- CMagnetic force
- DElectrostatic force
- EGravitational force