Worksheet: Types of Bonding
In this worksheet, we will practice describing the origin and properties of covalent, polar covalent, ionic, and metallic bonding.
Which of the following is the least useful piece of information for predicting the type of bonding likely to occur between two elements?
- ATheir electronegativities
- BTheir boiling points
- CTheir melting points
- DTheir position in the periodic table
- ETheir electron arrangements
Which of the following is an accurate definition of a dative covalent bond?
- AA bond in which two bonding electrons are shared between more than two atoms
- BA bond comprising more than two shared bonding electrons
- CA bond comprising two shared bonding electrons that originate from the same atom
- DA bond in which two bonding electrons are shared unevenly between a pair of bonded atoms
- EA bond comprising only one shared bonding electron
Which force is mainly responsible for the attraction between oppositely charged ions in an ionic compound?
- AMagnetic force
- BGravitational force
- CElectrostatic force
- DCovalent force
- EMetallic force
In a covalent bond, nuclei (x) interact with an energy , electrons (e) interact with an energy , and electrons and nuclei interact with an energy . The total interaction energy, , is determined by the balance of these interaction energies, as illustrated in the figure.
An interaction energy is positive if it is repulsive and negative if it is attractive.
Which interaction energies are negative?
- D, ,
Write an expression for in terms of the interaction energies listed.
If a covalent bond is stable, which of the following conditions must be satisfied?