Worksheet: Hypotheses, Theories, and Laws
In this worksheet, we will practice describing hypotheses, theories, and laws, understanding their applications and importance to scientific inquiry.
Which of the following is the best description of a hypothesis?
- AA testable prediction
- BThe best available explanation
- CAn educated guess
- DThe simplest theory
- EA statement of truth
Which of the following is the best description of a theory?
- AA hypothesis that is supported by experimental data
- BA statement of truth about the universe
- CA guess at what might happen during an experiment
- DA belief about the way the universe works
- EA disproven hypothesis
Which of the following is the best description of a scientific law?
- AA statement that is always true, regardless of how many times it is tested
- BA generally accepted theory supported by experimental data
- CAn observation of a physical process
- DA testable prediction of what will happen during an experiment
- EA mathematical statement that relates two or more variables