In this worksheet, we will practice describing hypotheses, theories, and laws, understanding their applications and importance to scientific inquiry.
Which of the following is the best description of a hypothesis?
- A A statement of truth
- B An educated guess
- C The best available explanation
- D A testable prediction
- E The simplest theory
Which of the following is the best description of a theory?
- A A guess at what might happen during an experiment
- B A statement of truth about the universe
- C A belief about the way the universe works
- D A hypothesis that is supported by experimental data
- E A disproven hypothesis
Which of the following is the best description of a scientific law?
- A An observation of a physical process
- B A statement that is always true, regardless of how many times it is tested
- C A testable prediction of what will happen during an experiment
- D A generally accepted theory supported by experimental data
- E A mathematical statement that relates two or more variables