This lesson includes 13 additional questions for subscribers.
Lesson Worksheet: The Geologic Time Scale Geology
In this worksheet, we will practice recognizing the geologic time scale and how geological time is classified and divided up using dating methods such as radiometric dating and index fossils.
Which is the correct order that represents the divisions of geologic time in descending order of duration?
- AA period, an epoch, an era, an eon
- BAn eon, an era, a period, an epoch
- CAn eon, an era, an epoch, a period
- DAn era, an eon, an epoch, a period
- EAn era, an eon, a period, an epoch
Which of the following are eras in Earth’s geological history?
- AProterozoic, Phanerozoic, and Mesozoic
- BPaleozoic, Mesozoic, and Permian
- CPaleozoic, Mesozoic, and Cenozoic
- DPhanerozoic, Mesozoic, and Cenozoic
- ETriassic, Jurassic, and Cretaceous
True or False: Radiometric dating uses the decay of radioactive substances to determine the age of Earth, which is approximately 4.6 billion years old.
True or False: One of the reasons the fossil record is incomplete is that most organisms either decay or are eaten by other organisms soon after death, and so they are not preserved.
At the end of which period did dinosaurs become extinct?
Which animals dominated the Mesozoic era?
Which of the following represents approximately of Earth’s age?
What is the most recent epoch in geological history according to the geologic time scale?
What is the index fossil most commonly seen in rocks deposited in the Triassic period?
- CSeed fern
True or False: Earth’s geological history is divided up into a series of time intervals of equal lengths.