Worksheet: NMR Splitting Patterns
In this worksheet, we will practice determining molecular structure from NMR splitting patterns and assigning multiplicities based on peak intensities.
Which of the following correctly describes the relative intensities of splitting of an NMR peak?
The splitting of energy levels in the presence of a magnetic field is caused by which of the following?
- ASymmetry degeneracy
- BPauli exclusion principle
- CFermi contact interaction
- DThe Zeeman effect
- EBose-Einstein effect
A NMR spectrum at room temperature reveals one well-defined peak. When cooled slightly, the peak becomes broadened. At temperatures, two well defined peaks are apparent. What is responsible for these observations?
- AInteger quantum spin numbers
- BSpin-spin coupling interactions
- CFractional quantum spin numbers
- DDynamic fluxionality
- ELow natural abundances of the nucleus
What is the most likely cause of fluxional behavior in the NMR spectrum of , iron pentacarbonyl?
- ARotation of a hindered carbonyl bond
- BDissociation and recoordination of the carbonyl ligands
- COpening and closing of bridging carbonyls
- DIsomerism between trigonal bipyramidal and square pyramidal configurations
- EMonomer-dimer formation with a bridging carbonyl