Lesson Worksheet: Benefits of Philosophical Thinking Philosophy
In this worksheet, we will practice recognizing the benefits of philosophical thinking.
Which of the following best describes philosophy?
- APhilosophy emphasizes respect for tradition.
- BPhilosophy teaches us how to obey the powerful.
- CPhilosophy teaches us to accept the fact that nothing really matters.
- DPhilosophy encourages critical thinking.
- EPhilosophy encourages us to shatter social norms.
What is the Socratic method?
- ADefending one’s own beliefs using arguments and evidence
- BAsking questions in order to help someone understand their own beliefs
- CLeading by example
- DUsing obscure parables to keep the uninitiated from understanding
- EDisproving someone’s beliefs using arguments and reason
Which of the following quotes are from Socrates?
- A“To err is human.”
- B“Silence is golden.”
- C“Nobody does wrong knowingly.”
- D“Knowledge is power.”
- E“I think; therefore, I am.”
Complete this famous paraphrase of Socrates: “Virtue is knowledge; .”
- Avirtue is kindness
- Bvirtue is impossible
- Cvice is ignorance
- Dbut vice is more fun
- Evice is wisdom
What does the trial and execution of Socrates tell us about philosophical challenges to the existing social order?
- AThey are harmful and even violent.
- BThey cause pointless suffering.
- CThey always work out alright in the long run.
- DThey are sometimes violently resisted.
- EThey immediately solve the problems they are meant to solve.
How was Socrates persecuted?
- AHe was exiled.
- BHe was forced to have conversations with boring people.
- CHe was forced to recant his beliefs.
- DHe was forced to retire.
- EHe was put on trial and sentenced to die.
Why have Socrates and other philosophers been persecuted?
- ABecause philosophers ask questions that are annoying
- BBecause philosophers think they are smarter than everyone else
- CBecause philosophers ask questions that challenge the status quo
- DBecause philosophers get caught up in the dangerous world of politics
- EBecause the way philosophers live is a threat to public decency
True or False: Philosophy can help individuals shape their own views about life and adopt certain values, goals, and behaviors.
What best describes the attitude of philosophers toward social and political problems?
- APhilosophers use philosophy to improve the situation.
- BPhilosophers always defend the status quo.
- CPhilosophers recognize that philosophy is only possible if they stay out of political disputes.
- DPhilosophers try to make things worse in order to have interesting situations to philosophize about.
- EPhilosophers are not concerned with concrete social problems, only the detached contemplation of the world.
How can philosophy improve society?
- ABy supporting harmful aspects of the social order against valid criticisms
- BBy making rational arguments against harmful aspects of the social order
- CBy undermining efforts to reform harmful aspects of the social order