This lesson includes 24 additional questions and 171 additional question variations for subscribers.
Lesson Worksheet: Applications of Geometric Sequences and Series Mathematics
In this worksheet, we will practice solving real-world applications of geometric sequences and series, where we will find the common ratio, the nth term explicit formula, the order and value of a specific sequence term, and the sum of given number of terms.
Chloe joined a company with a starting salary of $28,000. She receives a salary increase after each full year in the job.
The total Chloe earns over years is a geometric series. What is the common ratio?
Write a formula for , the total amount in dollars that Chloe earns in years at the company.
After 20 years with the company, Chloe leaves. Use your formula to calculate the total amount she earned there.
Explain why the actual amount she earned will be different from the amount calculated using the formula.
- AThe value of the dollar varies with time.
- BShe spent part of the money within the 20 years.
- CThe actual amount will have a different starting value compared to the amount calculated using the formula.
- DWhen necessary, the new annual salary will be rounded.
- EThe actual amount will have a different percentage compared to the amount calculated using the formula.
A ball fell vertically downward from a height of 270 cm above the ground. Each time the ball touches the ground, it bounces of the previous distance. Find the falling distance when the ball touches the ground at the fourth time. Then find the total distance the ball covered during its motion. Give all answers to the nearest unit.
- A24 cm, 702 cm
- B24 cm, 486 cm
- C11 cm, 702 cm
- D26 cm, 945 cm
- E46 cm, 945 cm
The production of an oil well every year is less than the year before. Find the total number of barrels produced in the first eight years given the production in the first year was 28,450. Then, find the maximum production of the well. Give all answers to the nearest unit.
- A112,418 barrels, 142,250 barrels
- B118,384 barrels, 142,250 barrels
- C568,993 barrels, 35,563 barrels
- D568,999 barrels, 35,563 barrels