Lesson Worksheet: Interpreting and Presenting Data Chemistry
In this worksheet, we will practice analyzing, interpreting, and presenting data; recognizing trends; and identifying anomalous results.
The graph shows the relative abundance of gases and during a reaction where transforms into .
Which of the following statements is false?
- AThe lines for and cross at relative abundance = 50%.
- BAt the end of the reaction, is completely consumed.
- CThe rate of the reaction is high at the start and low at the end.
- DAt time 0, the relative abundance of is 100%.
- EAs the quantity of decreases, the quantity of increases.
Shown in the graph are the relative abundance of gases and during a reaction where transforms into .
At time , a modification to the system dramatically alters the abundances of and . Which of the following is the least likely explanation for the changes observed?
- AThe gases were stirred.
- BThe temperature increased.
- CA catalyst was added.
- DMore of was added.
- EThe pressure increased.
The given graph contains numerous errors and bad practices. Which of the following descriptions is not a bad practice shown in the graph?
- AThe line of best fit passes through the origin and one data point.
- BThe points have been plotted as large, circular blobs.
- CA line of best fit has been drawn through the data instead of connecting each point.
- DThe axes are labeled, but no units are included.
- EThe scale on the -axis does not have regular intervals.
Which of the following shows data represented as a bar chart?
The given scatterplot shows the melting point against the density for a group of elements with stable isotopes. Which of the following statements can be concluded using information from the scatterplot only?
- AIn general, the greater the density, the lower the melting point.
- BIn general, the lower the density, the higher the melting point.
- CIn general, the greater the density, the higher the melting point.
- DThere is no correlation between the density of an element and its melting point.
- EElements with a melting point of have very low densities.
The table below shows data that has been collected. Which type of graph would most suitably present this data?
|Number of Recognized Isotopes||7||9||11||13||15||16||16||17||19|
- ALine graph
- BBar chart
- CArea graph
- DPie chart
- EScatter plot
The results from an experiment are shown in the given table. Which type of graph would most suitably present this data?
- ABar chart
- DPie chart
- EArea graph
A student has plotted data from an experiment on a graph, as shown. The student wants to draw a line of best fit through the data to identify any trends and anomalous results. Which of the given graphs shows the most suitable line of best fit for the data?
Which of the following is not a reason why two variables may have a correlation between them?
- ALuck or coincidence
- BConnection through a third variable
- CAn existing reverse correlation between the two variables