Worksheet: Diseases Caused by Pathogens
In this worksheet, we will practice defining a pathogen, and describing some common infections caused by pathogens.
Which of the following best defines a pathogen?
- AA pathogen is a small organism.
- BA pathogen is a chemical that can be passed from person to person.
- CA pathogen is a disease-causing microorganism.
- DA pathogen is a protein that stimulates an immune response.
- EA pathogen is a cell produced by the body to fight off infections.
Diseases caused by pathogens are often communicable. What is a communicable disease?
- AA disease that cannot be transmitted between organisms
- BA disease that can be passed from organism to organism
Which of the following diseases is not caused by a virus?
- CTobacco mosaic disease
- DAthlete’s foot
A farmer is trying to establish what diseases are attacking his plants and trees.
What symptoms would he expect to see if the disease was rose black spot?
- ABlack patches on the surface of the leaves
- BRose-colored patches on the surface of the leaves
- CVisible breaks and black lesions on the stems
What symptoms would he expect to see if the disease was tobacco mosaic virus?
- ARed spots on the leaves
- BVisible breaks and lesions on the stems
- CDiscoloration of the leaves
- DNo visible symptoms
What symptoms would he expect to see if the disease was Chalara ash dieback?
- ALesions on the trunk of an ash tree
- BNo visible symptoms
- CBright orange spots on the leaves
- DDiscoloration of the leaves
Which of the following diseases is caused by bacteria?
- DSalmonella food poisoning
- EAthletes foot
A parasite called Plasmodium causes the infectious disease known as malaria. What type of pathogen is Plasmodium?
Helicobacter pylori usually lives harmlessly in the human stomach but can occasionally cause stomach ulcers. What type of pathogen is Helicobacter pylori?
The picture shows a tree infected with Chalara ash dieback, which causes lesions in tree barks. What type of pathogen causes Chalara ash dieback?
The image shows rose leaves that have been infected with the disease rose black spot.
What pathogen causes rose black spot?