Worksheet: Diseases Caused by Pathogens
In this worksheet, we will practice defining a pathogen, and describing some common infections caused by pathogens.
Which of the following best defines a pathogen?
- AA pathogen is a cell produced by the body to fight off infections.
- BA pathogen is a small organism.
- CA pathogen is a disease-causing microorganism.
- DA pathogen is a chemical that can be passed from person to person.
- EA pathogen is a protein that stimulates an immune response.
Diseases caused by pathogens are often communicable. What is a communicable disease?
- AA disease that cannot be transmitted between organisms
- BA disease that can be passed from organism to organism
Which of the following diseases is not caused by a virus?
- BTobacco mosaic disease
- DAthlete’s foot
A farmer is trying to establish what diseases are attacking his plants and trees.
What symptoms would he expect to see if the disease was rose black spot?
- ARose-colored patches on the surface of the leaves
- BVisible breaks and black lesions on the stems
- CBlack patches on the surface of the leaves
What symptoms would he expect to see if the disease was tobacco mosaic virus?
- AVisible breaks and lesions on the stems
- BNo visible symptoms
- CDiscoloration of the leaves
- DRed spots on the leaves
What symptoms would he expect to see if the disease was Chalara ash dieback?
- ABright orange spots on the leaves
- BDiscoloration of the leaves
- CLesions on the trunk of an ash tree
- DNo visible symptoms
Which of the following diseases is caused by bacteria?
- BAthletes foot
- DSalmonella food poisoning
A parasite called Plasmodium causes the infectious disease known as malaria. What type of pathogen is Plasmodium?
Helicobacter pylori usually lives harmlessly in the human stomach but can occasionally cause stomach ulcers. What type of pathogen is Helicobacter pylori?
The picture shows a tree infected with Chalara ash dieback, which causes lesions in tree barks. What type of pathogen causes Chalara ash dieback?
The image shows rose leaves that have been infected with the disease rose black spot.
What pathogen causes rose black spot?
The diagram below shows the average relative sizes and basic structures of various pathogens.
What pathogen is represented by label 1?
What pathogen is represented by label 2?
What pathogen is represented by label 3?
The diagram provided shows the life cycle of the Plasmodium parasite that causes malaria. This life cycle requires a vector.
In terms of infectious disease, what is a vector?
- AAn agent that carries and transmits a disease between organisms
- BA cell in the body that fights off disease
- CA protein on the surface of a pathogen that induces an immune response
- DA disease-causing microorganism
In the life cycle of the Plasmodium parasite, what acts as the vector?
- ABlood cells
- CLiver cells