Worksheet: Biological Molecules
In this worksheet, we will practice describing the structures and functions of biological molecules, such as DNA, proteins, carbohydrates, and fats.
Which of the following chemicals contains the same linkages found in proteins?
Which analytical technique can identify and separate mixtures of amino acids?
Which combination of elements makes up the linkages in protein molecules?
- ANitrogen, sulfur, and hydrogen
- BOxygen, hydrogen, and carbon
- CNitrogen, hydrogen, carbon, and sulfur
- DNitrogen, oxygen, hydrogen, and carbon
- ENitrogen, oxygen, and carbon
Which of the following biomolecules are capable of hydrolyzing carbohydrates and proteins?
- ARed blood cells
What do amino acids form when they are polymerized?
What is the name of the monomers that combine to become macromolecules of DNA?
- CFatty acids
- EAmino acids
What is the chemical process that can break carbohydrates down into simple sugars?
Fill in the blank: One way Terylene and nylon are different from proteins and carbohydrates found in the body is that they are both .
- Along-chain organic compounds
- Cused for energy by the body
- Dnaturally occurring
- Efound in foodstuff
What are the three main food groups?
- ACarbohydrate, protein, and fiber
- BFat, fiber, and protein
- CFat, carbohydrate, and water
- DFiber, carbohydrate, and protein
- EFat, carbohydrate, and protein
Which type of chemical compound are fats?
- ACarboxylic acids
What type of biomolecule reacts with glycerol to form lipids?
- BFatty acids
- EAmino acids
What type of molecules are proteins and carbohydrates examples of?
Fill in the blank: Enzymes are a type of .
- Damino acid