Worksheet: How Plants Disperse Seeds
In this worksheet, we will practice describing the role that animals play in pollinating flowers and dispersing seeds.
Insects that help pollinate flowering plants are known as pollinators. They are attracted to the bright colors of the flowers. Butterflies are pollinators. Choose another pollinator from the list.
Which agent of pollination is shown in this photograph?
These coconut palms are growing on the banks of the River Nile. How were the coconut seeds dispersed?
- AThe seeds were planted by humans.
- BThe wind blew the coconuts.
- CCoconuts stuck to the fur of animals and were dropped on the ground.
- DThe seeds were dispersed in the water.
How are plants that do not have brightly colored flowers pollinated?
- ABy bees
- BBy birds
- CBy wind
- DBy butterflies
There are different ways that pollen can be carried from one plant to another.
Which agent of pollination is shown in the picture?
The diagram shows how flowering plants reproduce.
Which of these statements describes what happens during fertilization?
- AThe pollen from one flower travels down the pistil of another flower to fertilize the egg.
- BThe pollen from one flower travels down the anther of another flower to fertilize the egg.
- CThe pollen from one flower travels down the stem of another flower to fertilize the egg.
- DThe pollen from one flower travels down the stigma of another flower to fertilize the egg.
The photograph shows a milkweed pod releasing its seeds.
How are these seeds dispersed?
- ABy wind
- BBy explosion
- CBy animals
These ripe raspberries have seeds inside them. How are these seeds dispersed?
- ABy wind
- BBy animals
- CBy explosion
The fruit of this cocklebur plant is covered with hooked spines.
Choose the most likely method by which the seeds are dispersed.
- AThey fall from the plant.
- BThey are blown in the wind.
- CThey are eaten by a bird.
- DThey are carried on animal fur.
Dandelion seeds are also called parachute seeds. Each parachute, or group of hairs, carries a seed.
Which type of seed dispersal is this plant designed for?
The seeds of the maple tree have specially adapted wings.
Which type of seed dispersal does this plant use?
Use the table to identify which plants disperse their seeds in water.
- ABlackberry and beggar-ticks
- BMilkweed and dandelion
- CViolet, jewelweed, and witch hazel
- DCoconut and cattail
Which type of dispersal is most likely for maple seeds?