Worksheet: Stem Cells
In this worksheet, we will practice recalling the location and function of stem cells, and explaining how they can be used in medicine.
Where are stem cells found in plants?
- ARoot hair cells
- BPalisade cells
True or False: Stem cells could be used to treat a range of disorders and diseases, including paralysis, dementia, and infertility.
What is the key difference between a stem cell and a normal body cell?
- ANormal body cells contain genetic material, whereas stem cells do not.
- BStem cells can divide and replicate, whereas normal body cells cannot.
- CStem cells are only found in embryos, whereas normal body cells are only found in adults.
- DNormal body cells are specialized to carry out a particular function, whereas stem cells are unspecialized.
- EStem cells are specialized to carry out a particular function, whereas normal body cells are unspecialized.
Macular degeneration is when the light-sensitive cells in the center of your eye stop working. Which of the following best explains how stem cells could be used to treat someone with macular degeneration?
- AStem cells cannot be used to treat this condition.
- BStem cells can be used to create an entire eyeball and replace the eye of someone with this condition.
- CStem cells can stimulate the immune response to repair the damaged cells.
- DStem cells can be stimulated to differentiate into light-sensitive cells to replace the damaged ones.
- EStem cells can be inserted into the eye to fix the damaged cells.
Which of the following is a benefit of having stem cells in the body of a human adult?
- AIf cells are damaged by injury or disease, stem cells can divide and create new cells to replace them.
- BAdult stem cells can specialize into all the different types of cells in the body.
- CAdult stem cells contain large amounts of hemoglobin to carry oxygen around the body.
- DAdult stem cells can transmit electrical impulses to allow a rapid response to danger.
- EAdult stem cells can be used in reproduction.
Which of the following is the correct definition of stem cells?
- AStem cells are undifferentiated cells that stay unspecialized.
- BStem cells are undifferentiated cells that can develop into any type of specialized cell.
- CStem cells are specialized cells found in the body that carry out certain functions.
- DStem cells are undifferentiated cells that are only found in adult tissue.
- EStem cells are undifferentiated cells found only in plants.
What is the key difference between embryonic and adult stem cells?
- AAdult stem cells can differentiate to become any type of specialized cell, but embryonic stem cells can only become certain types of cells.
- BEmbryonic stem cells can differentiate to become any type of specialized cell, but adult stem cells can only become certain types of cells.
- CThey do not differ in any of their properties.
- DEmbryonic stem cells can divide rapidly to make new cells, but adult stem cells take a long time to divide and generate new cells.
- EAdult stem cells can divide rapidly to make new cells, but embryonic stem cells take a long time to divide and generate new cells.