Worksheet: Stem Cells
In this worksheet, we will practice recalling the location and function of stem cells, and explaining how they can be used in medicine.
Where are stem cells found in plants?
- APalisade cells
- CRoot hair cells
True or False: Stem cells could be used to treat a range of disorders and diseases, including paralysis, dementia, and infertility.
What is the key difference between a stem cell and a normal body cell?
- AStem cells are specialized to carry out a particular function, whereas normal body cells are unspecialized.
- BStem cells are only found in embryos, whereas normal body cells are only found in adults.
- CStem cells can divide and replicate, whereas normal body cells cannot.
- DNormal body cells are specialized to carry out a particular function, whereas stem cells are unspecialized.
- ENormal body cells contain genetic material, whereas stem cells do not.
Macular degeneration is when the light-sensitive cells in the center of your eye stop working. Which of the following best explains how stem cells could be used to treat someone with macular degeneration?
- AStem cells can be stimulated to differentiate into light-sensitive cells to replace the damaged ones.
- BStem cells can be inserted into the eye to fix the damaged cells.
- CStem cells can be used to create an entire eyeball and replace the eye of someone with this condition.
- DStem cells can stimulate the immune response to repair the damaged cells.
- EStem cells cannot be used to treat this condition.
Which of the following is a benefit of having stem cells in the body of a human adult?
- AAdult stem cells can transmit electrical impulses to allow a rapid response to danger.
- BAdult stem cells can specialize into all the different types of cells in the body.
- CAdult stem cells can be used in reproduction.
- DAdult stem cells contain large amounts of hemoglobin to carry oxygen around the body.
- EIf cells are damaged by injury or disease, stem cells can divide and create new cells to replace them.
Which of the following is the correct definition of stem cells?
- AStem cells are specialized cells found in the body that carry out certain functions.
- BStem cells are undifferentiated cells that can develop into any type of specialized cell.
- CStem cells are undifferentiated cells that stay unspecialized.
- DStem cells are undifferentiated cells that are only found in adult tissue.
- EStem cells are undifferentiated cells found only in plants.
What is the key difference between embryonic and adult stem cells?
- AThey do not differ in any of their properties.
- BEmbryonic stem cells can divide rapidly to make new cells, but adult stem cells take a long time to divide and generate new cells.
- CAdult stem cells can differentiate to become any type of specialized cell, but embryonic stem cells can only become certain types of cells.
- DAdult stem cells can divide rapidly to make new cells, but embryonic stem cells take a long time to divide and generate new cells.
- EEmbryonic stem cells can differentiate to become any type of specialized cell, but adult stem cells can only become certain types of cells.