Worksheet: Using Microscopes
In this worksheet, we will practice recalling how to use light microscopes, calculate magnification and compare different types of microscopes.
Which of the following statements about light and electron microscopes is correct?
- AElectron microscopes have a higher resolution and a higher magnification than light microscopes.
- BElectron microscopes have a higher resolution but a lower magnification than light microscopes.
- CLight microscopes have a higher magnification and higher resolution than electron microscopes.
- DLight microscopes have a lower magnification but a higher resolution than electron microscopes.
A red blood cell is viewed under a microscope as 4 mm wide. The actual width of the cell is 0.8 mm. What is the magnification of the image?
Fill in the blanks: Magnification = size/ size.
- Aimage, actual
- Bactual, image
- Cimage, magnification
- Dactual, magnification
If a bacteria cell is 9 micrometers wide, how wide is it in millimeters?
If the eye of a flea is 0.001 millimeters wide, how wide is it in nanometers?
The Ebola virus is 80 nm long. Under a microscope, it appears to be 1 mm long.
What is the length of the image of the virus in nanometers?
What is the magnification of this image?
If a fungus is 2,000 micrometers long, how long is it in millimeters?
A plant cell is viewed under a microscope. The diameter of the cell in the image produced is 25 mm. The image has been magnified 1,000x. What is the cell’s actual diameter?
The diagram provided shows a light microscope.
Which of the following structures is represented by label 1?
- AObjective lens
- CCoarse focus knob
Which of the following structures is represented by label 2?
- BCoarse focus knob
- DObjective lens
Which of the following structures is represented by label 3?
- BObjective lens
- DCoarse focus knob
Which of the following structures is represented by label 4?
- BObjective lens
- ECoarse focus knob
A student views a plant cell underneath a microscope and produces a scientific drawing, shown here. What is incorrect about this scientific drawing?
- AThey have colored in parts of the cell.
- BThey could not have seen this structure with only 1,000x magnification.
- CThey have not drawn the cell to scale.
- DThey have labeled the cell incorrectly.